The International Noise Awareness Day (INAD) aims at raising awareness of noise on the welfare and health of people worldwide. It was founded in 1996 by the Center of Hearing and Communication (CHC), and since then the day is commemorated on a Wednesday in April each year.
The European Acoustics Association (EAA) participates in the celebration every year by a series of events addressed to the whole society, with special emphasis to young people who are among the most sensitive persons of our society. These events have been organized so far typically by the EAA Member Societies. For to 2017, the EAA decided to coordinate a wider campaign in order to raise the interest of the European citizens towards noise and its effects on the quality of life and health (the INAD 2017). EAA will collaborate with the European Commission (in particular the DG-Environment) and the European Environment Agency for promoting and coordinating specialized activities during this year, among the EAA members Societies, and the European and national authorities, the noise associations, the schools, museums, etc. in order that a wider public will receive the most accurate and scientifically correct information on noise effects.
The aim of this web-page is to collect and disseminate all the information on the activities coordinated by EAA and organized either centrally by EAA or by the member Societies and other related organizations.
Competition open to students of all schools of European Countries aiming at raising awareness on sounds and noise characterizing landscapes and soundscapes all along Europe. These sounds are either the everyday sounds that surround us and make up the background noise in our lives, or the peculiar sounds of some places that must be known and preserved.
More details about this competition sponsored by the Head-Genuit-Stiftung Foundation are reported in the regulation file.
Here is the list of the national representatives.
At the conference, the World Health Organisation will present the latest scientific evidence of the health effects of noise. Representatives from Member States, public authorities, scientists as well as associations and organisations interested in environmental noise, will have the opportunity to discuss policy options to ensure we strike the right balance between the transport we all depend on, and the healthy lives we want.
More details can be found on the conference website.
Have a look at the events organized in your country:
Hover on any highlighted country to display it's description right here or read all events below.
• Croatia : lectures in Croatian high schools about noise problems are scheduled on April the 26th as well as a round-table discussion at the University of Zagreb. Discussions about noise on national radio and television are planned for the INAD 2017 day. Finally, you can find a translation of the INAD student competition document here.
• Denmark : the student competition document is being distributed to school teachers throughout the country. An introduction to Acoustics is presented to a growing number of schools. Presentations in connection with "Arhus European Culture Capital 2017" are planned.
• France : the student competition document has been distributed to schools throughout the country. A promotion of the INAD 2017 is scheduled with animations as seen during the "Semaine du son".
• Germany : all activities regarding the celebration of the 20th Noise Awareness Day Noise can be found here. These activities include the Conference in Berlin: Acoustic Diversity in Germany: Achievements, Challenges, Concerns with the participation of political actors, city planners, and scientists. There will be lectures and as well a panel discussion regarding noise effects, noise protection, and noise maps. A detailed program can be found here. Action days on the use of the so called "Lärmkoffer" are also organized and a German translation of the INAD student competition document is available here.
• Greece : presentations of the noise issue are organized in primary and high schools on Wednesday, April the 26th by teachers or members of the Hellenic Institute of Acoustics.
2 audio-only games will be available to students to demonstrate the effect of noise in every day life and to familiarize one-self with different noise forms and characteristics.
A short video spot will be delivered to national and local TVs and a press release will be distributed to the local and national press for the INAD 2017 day.
• Hungary : A discussion is planned at Corvinus University (Budapest) on April the 26th (detailed program is available). The advertisement of the INAD student competition document is also available here.
• Italy : details of all activities related to INAD 2017 are summarized here.
• Lithuania : Information about the INAD 2017 event, including the student competition, are presented on the Lithuanian dedicated website for INAD 2017 as well as on Facebook. This information will also be spread through national media, involving radio and television. A round-table discussion is planned at the Vilnius Gediminas Technical University. Professionals, scientists and authorities will be invited to discuss about noise-related problems.
• Netherlands: a free advisory day is organized on Wednesday, April the 26th for Dutch residents with noise issues.
• Norway: in collaboration with the Norwegian Association Against Noise (NAAN), the Norwegian Acoustical Society (NAS) organizes free advisory answers to the noise concerns encountered by the population. Requests are welcome until the 26th of April and will be dispatched to consultant companies the following week. In downtown Oslo, NAAN will give information about noise, present the noise map of Oslo and let you calibrate your smartphone "sound level meter" application with an actual class 1 sound level meter. NAAN will also give their yearly 2 prizes: best practice and "slow" practice in noise abatement.
• Poland : The Upper Silesian Section of the Polish Acoustical Society (PAS) organizes a lecture: "Noise and vibration in human environment" on April the 26th. In Warsaw the journal "Murator" organizes on April the 25th a scientific conference "Acoustics of buildings - case studies". Warsaw Section of PAS together with the Polish League of Noise Control organize, on April the 26th, a seminar for students at Warsaw University of Technology about noise and vibration control in environment. The lecturers will be members of the Section as well as the members of Polish League of Noise Control. Rzeszow Section organizes a lecture for pupils of the Mechatronics High School about harmful effect of noise on human. A visit of an anechoic chamber is also planned. A second lecture about noise for the co-workers of University of Rzeszow is planned. In Wroclaw, a TV interview about harmful effects of loud music with earphones will be broadcasted.
• Portugal : Acoustic laboratory members are encourage to visit secondary schools on Wednesday, April the 26th to discuss the noise issue.
• Singapore : The Society of Acoustics (Singapore) organizes a seminar on Tuesday the 9th of May to commemorate the INAD. The topic of this two-hour seminar is passive approach to noise control using phononic crystal and active noise control with Prof. H. P. Lee, Deputy Head (research), department of mechanical engineering (NUS) and Prof. Gan Woon Seng, Director of Infocomm Technology Centre, School of EEE (NTU).
• Slovenia : details of the activities related to INAD 2017 are summarized here.
• Spain : details of all activities related to INAD 2017 are summarized in Spanish and English. These activities include, for primary school children the diffusion of the comic "Silín y Ruidón" in printed, audiovisual narrated and narrated with subtitles for hearing impaired children as well as the video-game "Silín y Ruidón"
• Turkey : A discussion is planned at Istanbul Technical University on April the 26th. The advertisement of the INAD student competition document is also available here.
• United Kingdom : the student competition document is being distributed to schools throughout the country.
• U.S.A. : On its website, the Center of Hearing and Communication lists the INAD participants, past and present of national or local events.
The International Noise Awareness Day in Europe is sponsored by Ecophon.
This 1h21 minutes film is a call for more silence, stressing out the importance of living in a world where noise is considered as an unwanted effect.